Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Darling of Lawn Mowers via Consumer Reports


Well, here it is - the one and only Cub Cadet CC550SP self propelled push mower. The trouble I had getting it is a story in itself. After going through three mowers in 5 years my wife and I decided we'd had enough of the Wal-Mart cheapie Murray/Brigs & Stratton push mower at $165.00 a pop. When the last one threw a bearing after just 18 months that was the final straw.

We decided to head for the library and take a look at Consumer Reports and what they had to day. In their Nov. '07 issue they rated and had a nice review of the current riding and push mowers on the market. Thier darling of the push mowers was the Cub Cadet CC500. After reading their review and deciding the price seemed right, from $259.00 SMRP (sale price) we decided to take the plunge with its 3 yr. warranty. The problem was one could not be found in Jacksonville, FL. The closet one we could locate was in Yulee, FL nearly 30 miles away. I gave them a call and they indicated they had two at $289. I said Cub Cadets website said otherwise with a sales promotion. They agreed and said I could have it for that price. I would be by next morning.

Upon arrival they were a little taken aback when I came in. A gentleman had been in an hour before and bought both of them. They thought that was me who called. Since they were out they offered the CC550SP (self propelled) to me for $10.00 more - $20.00 off Cub Cadet's web site promotional offer. I took it. They were awesome. Since they didn't have one on site they had to get one from there other store twenty miles away. After waiting for an hour and a half they arrived with the new mower out of the box and ready to go in hand. It started to rain right then, really hard, and then it would not fit in the Mercury. So I picked it up the next day in Martha's (my wife) Ford Freestar van. I took a photo once I got it out because it looks so damn kewl, well, for a lawn mower anyway. I will give my citical reivew once I take her out for a spin and see what all the fuss was about at Consumer Reports.

No comments:

Number of Days Until The Start of Gator Football Season