Monday, June 23, 2008

George Carlin, 1937 - 2008

He was one of the first stand up comedians I have a distinct memory of. The man was simply eloquently silly. That was the first two words to pop into my mind as I am writing this small elegy. He was kind of the silly side of the beat generation. A sort of Allan Ginsberg of silliness with a bent of acerbic social commentary with a smile and a "its ok if you are square. Just as long as you and I both know it."

Naturally he is most famous for his 'seven words you can't say on television or radio." But I remember him for his irreverance. His "why do they call it a parkway when you drive on it and a driveway when you park on it." His other famous line was "why do they call it a shipment when carried overland and cargo when its over water." And finally, "what do they call those two parallel lines under the nose leading to your top lip. What is that?" This is what I thought he was great at. It's what I remember the most about him.

His humor and his stinging barbs at prudish sensibilites and religious hyprocracy will be sorely missed. So long George, we hardly knew ye.

No comments:

Number of Days Until The Start of Gator Football Season